Sunday, October 02, 2005

Back to the starting block...


Well, I'm two weeks into my hourglass sweater and I've been fooling myself about the yarn. I can clearly see where the first ball ran out and the second started. The yarn, a super soft merino from Uruguay--from the same mill as Malabrigo's yarn, only cheaper and from a different seller-- is like most hand-dyed yarns. It's not a solid shade all the way through, so I should have used two balls at once and alternated them every couple of rows. Nah, too much tedium, I thought. Yeah, well, it's better than starting over! Hindsight is 20/20.

So I think I'm going to set this part aside and start a new one with the other balls of yarn for now. It's too traumatic a thought at the moment to rip out all my hard work! I'll wait until I'm zooming along with the new version.

The color of the yarn is nothing like the picture. I wish someone would come up with a way to make cameras and monitors consistent with real life colors. The yarn is a rusty terra cotta orange, not the pinky peach it looks like in this picture. Think fall, not spring.

Well, off to the new sweater. Nothing like a do-over. I was already thinking about my next challenge, but I guess it'll have to wait.

3 comments:

continueinkind said...

Very pretty, I like the color graduation it is very unique. Did you get the yarn from eBay?

binkwaffle (Holly) said...

Yep. It's the softest merino in the world! I got it from eBay store "handpainted yarn", from Uruguay. It's identical to to Malabrigo yarn, which is more expensive locally than the eBay yarn is even including shipping from Uruguay! I love the colors, too!

xmasberry said...

sad, isn't it, when you try to kid yourself about a yarn until way into the project? At least you figured it out now rather than later!